Thursday, March 15, 2012

Crispy Orange Beef


I have been getting kind of tired of my own cooking lately yet cannot afford to eat out where I would like too, mainly Chinese food places. So I was looking through the fridge, cupboards, and drawers of the kitchen and realized I had all the ingredients needed for this recipe I had found online. The sauce is really salty but once over the noodles and beef it was fine. I wouldn't recommend it for those with high-blood pressure though. I followed the recipe and added 4 drops of DoTerra Wild Orange Essential Oil. I think it really enhanced the orange flavor. Also, I fried the beef in coconut oil rather than other types of frying oil, it's healthier (and tastier). If you have the time and ingredients handy, I highly recommend making this dish. The hardest part was not eating all the crispy beef before everything else was done. Yum!


CRISPY ORANGE BEEF
For Stewed Meat:
1 lb stew beef
flour (for dredging)
cooking oil (to sauté meat)
dash of salt and pepper
To prepare meat:
Season stew meat very lightly with salt and pepper and lightly toss in flour. Shake off excess flour. Coat a shallow pan with cooking oil and gently pan fry stew meat.
Drain meat and set aside.
Sauce:
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon flour
juice of 1 orange
zest of half an orange
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
pepper, to taste
To prepare the sauce:
Add cooking oil to sauce pan and gently cook garlic. Add flour to garlic and oil; cook to remove the uncooked flour taste. It will look pasty at first.
Stir in soy sauce and teriyaki sauce, whisking to prevent lumps. Add orange zest, orange juice, pepper, and all sugars. Allow sauce to come to a boil and it will thicken. Cook to desired consistency. Toss stew meat in enough of the sauce just to coat it. Serve over rice.

1 comment:

Mr. Wong said...

The beef was good, I'll say that. The sauce I didn't try (I'm not much of a sauce guy), but now after reading about it I sorta wish I had. Next time.