Thursday, April 12, 2012

Fideo (pronounced Fee-day-o)

So, I really love fideo. It's a Mexican pasta dish my maternal great-grandmother,Abuelita, would make for us. None of us have figured out her exact recipe and sadly she never wrote it down. It wasn't a secret, it just didn't occur to anyone to write it down before she passed away at the age of 94.
I think I may have gotten pretty close to the flavor I remember but of course it will never be quite the same even if I had the recipe. I've noticed throughout my life that everyone tends to make things slightly different, even if using the exact same recipe and ingredients.
Once I began venturing out into the eating world, I was thoroughly surprised by how few people not only hadn't tasted Fideo but also hadn't even heard of it. I was pleasantly surprised to discover a few years ago that Cafe Rio put it on their menus (Fridays only.) It was shockingly similar in flavor to Abue's. The main difference in taste was they added lime juice which was a pleasant addition.

Here's how I make it:

1 package of coiled vermicelli
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 small onion, diced(or half a large)
1 small can diced green chilies
1 tsp granulated garlic (fresh is good too)
Knorr chicken bouillon
water
pepper to taste
oil for frying


Assemble all ingredients
Get oil hot, carefully place coils of vermecelli in hot oil, turn once; should be a light-medium golden color.

Place coils on paper toweled plate to allow to drain excess oil.
Pour oil from pan in a dry, safe place (I use a bowl) to allow to cool before throwing out. Don't pour down sink.
In same pan, with residual oil, caramelize diced onions until desired texture. I like 'em softened.
Add tomato sauce, diced green chilies, garlic, and pepper.
Add enough water to just cover the pasta and one tsp bullion per cup of water. Allow to simmer until pasta is softened. Some people like it a little soupy but I prefer the 'dry' version.
Garnish with a little parmesean and enjoy.

For me, this is a comfort food. It goes well with roast chicken. I really hope you take the time to make this and that it turns out well for you.





3 comments:

Jason Strong said...

While I don't care for Fideo myself, I love that my wife makes it and am so proud of her for all her talents and abilities.

Carolanne said...

I'll admit, pasta is not the thing that comes to mind when I think of Mexican food, but it looks pretty tasty. And I'm always a fan of limes. :)

Jana Iverson Last said...

Looks yummy! I found your recipe while I was searching for Fideo recipes on Google.

I tried Fideo for the first time at Cafe Rio while we were vacationing in Utah recently.

Thanks for posting your Fideo recipe. =)