Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sewing

I love to sew. My passion truly lies in making period costumes...especially Renaissance and pioneer styles. I also love making all types of clothing. I don't like alterations, replacing zippers or tying quilts. Currently I have made a queen size quilt as a Christmas gift for someone close to me. It is very simple, all pieced 5 inch squares and one large piece for the back. I top stitched the top layer for decorative purposes but will tie the whole thing to quilt it. It is hard on my fingers which is why I don't like to do it. It is for someone who really likes the look of a tied quilt which is the only reason I am doing it this way. I hope this person likes it. The part I love most about sewing anything is the end outcome and nearly always what I make is for someone else. That is the most satisfying part for me, giving it away and seeing someone smile and feeling the love with which it was made.

2 comments:

Carolanne said...

I tired to sew a period costume for a play in high school and it was a disaster. Have you noticed how the sizes seem to run small? The dress I was sewing was supposed to be a size 12 and it turned out like an eight. I was so stressed out! I figured out how to fix it, but I've never tried to sew a costume since. You should post some pictures of your projects. I would love to see them!

Amanda said...

I know what you mean. I wear a size 16 in store bought clothes but a 22 in pattern size. Whatever.