Saturday, January 9, 2010

Shopping

Hello, my name is Amanda and I am a shopaholic. It all started with a pack of gum as a child and then I moved on to quarter toy dispenser which of course led to the harder stuff. I am in recovery. I had it really bad in my late teens and early twenties. I wasn't allowed to leave on a mission at 21 until I paid off my 3 maxed out credit cards. By age 23 I achieved that goal and am doing much better. As time goes on I do backslide or 'fall off the wagon' from time to time. I recently had a bout of regression and then the bill came to bring me back to my senses. Some people eat, I shop. Sigh.
Anyway, I do feel better after a mini shopping spree this morning. I kept it simple, I went to Costco and bought some various snacks for the daycare. Somehow, such a simple thing, even though necessary, helped me feel better. Going through the isles' looking at things, thinking about what to choose and then making the choices is what does it for me. It's when I go for the frivolous purchases I get into trouble. I am lucky to have a hubby who doesn't freak out (too much) and is supportive and can reasonably talk me out of stuff. I believe it is rooted in the denial of getting stuff because we were so very, very poor when growing up. It will be a struggle all my life. Budgeting is not my forte but I am getting better.

2 comments:

Carolanne said...

Sometimes I'm glad we live in such a rural community. I spend a lot less money because there is simply no where to spend it. :) I've decided that shopping is only cathartic till you walk out of the store and have to deal with the bill. Catalogs are fun for me because I can spend hours soaking them in, make my selections and throw the book away before I actually buy anything. Plus my feet aren't sore and my toddler isn't cranky! It's fun for me in a weird sort of way.

Amanda said...

Hey, me too!